Paul Gregg

Jack of all Tech.

New MSI GTX 970.

Written By: pgregg - Oct• 28•2014

Wow, I love this card.

New benchmark of system from previous post with this card:

PassMark Rating

http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=29718965201

 

New PC build

Written By: pgregg - Sep• 15•2014

This weekend I built my new PC. All the parts arrived, eventually.  Case, not shown, is a Corsair Obsidian 550D – supposedly a mid-sized tower, but in reality it’s huge.

Parts list:20140911_225943_sm

Desc Make Model Link to product Store
Case Corsair Corsair Obsidian Series 550D CC-9011015-WW Quiet Mid-Tower Cases http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006L6ZSWC Amazon
Power Supply Corsair RM850 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FG9FZS2 Amazon
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K8MUTMO Amazon
CPU Intel Intel Devil’s Canyon Core i7 i7-4790K CPU (Quad Core 4GHz, Socket H3 LGA-1150) http://www.ebuyer.com/645546-intel-core-i7-4790k-4ghz-socket-1150-8mb-l3-cache-retail-boxed-bx80646i74790k Ebuyer
CPU Cooler Corsair Corsair CW-9060014-WW Hydro Series H110 280mm Rad Extreme Performance All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B4OCW7K Amazon
RAM GSkill G Skill 4x 8GB PC3-19200 DDR3 2400MHz Gaming Memory Kit http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007V9PFTO Amazon
HD Samsung Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5-inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E3W19MO Amazon
Front Panel Asus Asus 4 inch USB 2.0 ROG Front Base LCD Dual Bay Gaming Panel http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00INSNP4E Amazon

Basically, this is a beast. No graphics card yet because nVidia is announcing the 900 series in less than a week. Current gen cards will drop significantly. I’ll look at the new cards and performance/price when they are announced. Until then, I’ll live with the onboard Intel HD (which sill kills my present machine’s GeForce 9200).

Onto the build.

Chassis unboxed:

20140912_092750_smFigure the first thing I should worry about is the CPU watercooler radiator and fans.

20140912_094227_sm

People talk about “push” and “pull” systems and say the most efficient way to cool the CPU is to “pull” cold air from the outside of the case. It might be more efficient for the CPU, but all that heat is then dumped into the case. I feel better with a push to put the heat outside.

There is a cage you need to build for the waterblock/pump – a little fiddly and the instructions need careful attention. I got it wrong the first time, turns out I just needed to rotate the screw mounting cuffs. Cage constructed:

20140912_095325_sm

I didn’t know what way the fans blew, so took a guess and fitted them to the case. One thing here – I thought the screws were a little too short for the washer + rubber case mounting + fan size to reach the radiator casing it screws into. I had to apply some pressure for the screws to bite. Then I could tighten them… little did I know I’d be doing this several times later in the day… And here is why: :(

20140912_115335_sm

The radiator block extends over the top of the motherboard, enough to obstruct the EATX12V supply (direct power supply to the CPU). This is an 8 pin (4×2) block, the radiator blocks 4 top pins. The last time I built a PC, this didn’t exist and so my pre-purchase check that the AXT powersupply plug on the motherboard was far enough away didn’t throw up any red flags.  I had a real problem. Case (Corsair Obsidian 550D) + Watercooler (Corsair H110) were listed as compatible by Corsair, but throw in my choice of motherboard Asus Maximus Hero VII and suddenly they are not compatible.

 

I don’t believe Corsair should list a case/heatsink as compatible if it is going to cover 5mm of the motherboard – especially since there are power and fan connections on most motherboards up there.

Seriously considering having to go with the retail fan on the CPU… :(

I then noticed that the blocking part is just part of the mounting frame, that I didn’t need on this side…. I could cut out a hole with the dremel.

 

20140912_122257_sm

Buffed it to be sure no little metal filings would be left to drop down, shorting components, and refitted it back into the case.

This time, I should be able to fit the motherboard and have clearance for the power plug.  Because the CPU and Fan powersupply would also be blocked, I plugged the cables in before sliding the motherboard into position.

20140912_123742_sm

Few screws later, and we’re in:

20140912_132602_sm

Fitted the powersupply, and because I was pleased with myself over the motherboard/radiator fiasco, completely forgot to take pictures of it.

SSD was another issue. Screwed it into one of the drive trays and then found I couldn’t plug in the right-angled power cables.

20140912_134652_sm

 

Looks like I’m resorting to velcro (or rather 3M Picture hanging tape). These strips are very useful: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Command-Picture-Hanging-Strips-17202/dp/B00016ZLDY

20140912_134847_sm

20140912_135046_sm

RAM added, all 32GB of it and powered on…. It glows!

20140912_192522_sm

20140912_192537_sm

 

Front Base fitted and covers on. Had to remove the front door from the case as it wouldn’t close with the knob on the Front Base.

20140913_113048_sm

20140913_113058_sm

 

Front Base while idle:

20140915_080215

So how does it perform?

Ran Prime95 to stress the CPU…  Hello heat.

 

20140915_080457

 

Passmark score – not bad. In a few weeks with a decent graphics card, scores will be great.

PassMark Rating

passmark

 

Amazon Prime isn’t all that fast

Written By: pgregg - Sep• 10•2014

I’ve decided to build myself a new computer. I haven’t done this in about 10 years, so there was a fair amount of reading and research to understand all the latest components, processors, chipsets, and compatible RAM.

Because this is likely going to have to last me a while, I wanted to go big. Very big. More on that in the next article as I intend on documenting the build.

I also wanted to buy all of the components from Amazon due to Amazon’s excellent customer service should anything go wrong.

On Friday 5th May 2014, I started ordering. Amazon offered me a free trial of Amazon Prime during checkout.
Excellent, I’ll get everything faster. Well that’s the theory anyway.

It is now Wednesday 10th September (evening) and I have 4 of the 6 items delivered. Everything was in stock when I placed the order. Why aren’t they here yet?

The CPU (Devil’s Canyon i7-4790K) was ordered from Ebuyer because Amazon had no stock and was saying 2-4 weeks, so I sucked up Ebuyer’s £8 delivery charge to Northern Ireland. It arrived the next day. Well done Ebuyer.

Amazon Prime, however, I don’t think will be having the trial converted to a purchase.

domainadmin.com phishing spam email that isn’t.

Written By: pgregg - Jun• 25•2014

Registered a new domain name this evening and very quickly received what looked very much like a phishing email from domainadmin.com

The email itself:

> From: PGregg [mailto:xxx@example.com]

> Sent: 24 June 2014 23:26

> To: xxx@example.com

> Subject: VERIFICATION REQUIRED – Please verify your domain name(s) as soon as possible

 

Greetings,

Please read this important e-mail carefully.

Recently you registered, transferred or modified the contact information for one or more of your domain name(s). As of January 1, 2014, ICANN requires all accredited registrars to verify your new contact information.

You can read about ICANN’s new policy at: http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/raa/approved-with-specs-27jun13-en.htm#whois-accuracy.

newdomainname.com

In order to ensure your domain name remain active, you must now click the following link and follow the instructions provided:

http://approve.domainadmin.com/registrant/?verification_id=1234567&key=abcdefg&rid=12345

Failure to follow the above link and complete this process will eventually lead to the suspension of your domain name(s).

If you have any questions, please contact us.

Sincerely,

PGregg

Turns out this is actually legitimate.  Posting this in case others wonder the same and google happens to direct them to this page.

 

 

Guardian @commentisfree columnist @MissEllieMae talks drivel about Lord McAlpine

Written By: pgregg - Nov• 16•2012

I came across Ellie Mae O’Hagan on twitter today, who claims in her twitter biog to be a “Socialist, feminist, columnist”.

Her twitter ID is @MissEllieMae, and she wrote this:

 

 

Feel free to go read, then come back here. I’m going to break it down and comment.

I want to expand on the tweets I put out this morning regarding Lord McAlpine’s decision to sue for damages after being falsely accused of abusing children.

Fair enough.

Twitter is the sort of place where even the most obvious of sentiments must be spelled out, so let me emphasise that I recognise Lord McAlpine has been the victim of false accusations, that he has suffered immensely and unjustly, and I extend my sympathy to him.

I would like to respond firstly to the respondents who accused me of creating a ‘hierarchy of suffering’ in saying what I said. I want to be absolutely clear here: being abused as a child IS worse than being falsely accused of paedophilia. There is no doubt about that – especially as abuse survivors who speak out often become the victims of false accusations as well (they are called fantasists, liars, sluts etc). I invite anyone who wants to contradict me to ask themselves which form of suffering they would prefer.

How is this relevant? Are you trying to say it is ok to be called a paedophile because it isn’t as bad as being abused? Reading this paragraph – you are certainly establishing a hierarchy of suffering.

In any case, I was not trying to create a hierarchy of suffering. I was attempting to redress the hierarchy of suffering which ALREADY EXISTS thanks to the rape culture and privilege which exists in our society. These forces allowed the abuse of Stephen Messham to happen. These forces enabled the abuse to be covered up. These forces allowed the Mail to print a hatchet job of an abuse victim. And now they are responsible for the entire story focussing upon Lord McAlpine, instead of the pursuit of justice for survivors of abuse. That is not an accident. That is evidence of rape culture and privilege.

Consider your hierarchy of suffering created.

It is worrying that so many people are behaving as though it is just coincidence that McAlpine been the focus of the story for weeks, overshadowing the man who survived the actual abuse. It is worrying that so few (especially so few journalists) have acknowledged that this skewed focus is the result of OPPRESSIVE SOCIAL STRUCTURES which destroy the lives of many, and not just the way a news story happened to roll out.

Again irrelevant.

Now I want to turn to McAlpine’s decision to sue for damages. This is his right as someone falsely accused, and I acknowledge that. But just because someone is entitled to do something, that doesn’t make it the best course of action. Let’s look at the context here: McAlpine has just received £185k from the BBC the day before its annual drive to raise money for vulnerable children. And for what? It is now accepted that he was falsely accused. Some have said ‘mud sticks,’ but I fail to see how £185k will make anyone desperate to believe the false allegations think ‘oh well now he’s got MONEY, I don’t believe it anymore.’

And yet, the twitterverse is now criticising McAlpine for not suing Scallywag for similar allegations in the 1990s. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Further, Scallywag was being sued by John Major, and promptly went bankrupt – so there was noone for McAlpine to sue.

As an already very wealthy individual, this money will not ease McAlpine’s suffering in the way that – say – Chris Jeffries’ compensation might. Given the issues of rape culture and privilege in these events (see above), I think it is the wrong decision for him to keep that money, despite him being entitled to do so.

That is entirely your opinion. You are entitled to it. But just as you think it is wrong of McAlpine to keep it (note, he hasn’t said if he is keeping it or donating it anyway), I am perfectly entitled to think you are wrong for your posturing, indeed bullying, in an attempted to coerce him into donating the settlement to abuse victims.

In addition, McAlpine’s solicitor has also said he is in possession of a ‘very long list’ of people who smeared his client. I can’t imagine all of these people are able to afford a legal case, and I suspect legal proceedings might mean financial ruin for some of them. How does that help Lord McAlpine? Will that be confirmation of his innocence? I don’t think it will make any difference to his reputation, but it will make a lot of difference to the lives of these people. Is it really proportionate? Again, Lord McAlpine is entitled to pursue this if he so wishes, but I don’t think that makes it right.

This is irrelevant to the dealings of the monies from settlement with the BBC. However, why not? He was libelled. He has a lawful right to seek redress in the courts.  Twitter is not extralegal. Therefore what is the problem?

At this point I also want to point out that abuse survivors who sue are often accused of being in it for the money, and are told it should be about ‘justice.’ But when the accused sue, it is considered fair. A rape survivor contacted me this morning to tell me that when she claimed her compensation, she was smeared in a national newspaper as being a ‘slut.’ That’s another example of rape culture and privilege.

That is terrible – but it seems you are invoking the hierarchy of suffering to say McAlpine has no reason for complaint.

Finally, many have said it is not Lord McAlpine’s responsibility to stand up for Stephen Messham or survivors of child abuse, as he has not chosen to be a part of this story. Given sexual abuse is the product of rape culture and privilege (see above) which is a socially ingrained thing, we ALL have a responsibility when it comes to this. It is doubly incumbent upon Lord McAlpine to do this given how the story has refocused on him thanks to rape culture and privilege (see above). He may not have intended that, but it HAS happened. I would like to see him use this opportunity to call for justice. That could only improve his reputation.

Seriously? It was Stephen Messham who misidentified Lord McAlpine. Why on earth would he want to stand up for him? The story has not refocused. If it McAlpine’s fault that the media (and you) are mentally incapable of separating two stories and running with both?

So, given Lord McAlpine’s solicitor says he is monitoring Twitter, I have this message for him: please ask your client to consider using his influence to speak out for survivors and to donate his compensation to helping them. He is under no obligation to do so, but it would be right and decent under the circumstances, and it would help refocus this story onto the pursuit of justice for survivors.

It might be the decent thing to do. But it is your opinion that it is the right thing to do. What he does with the settlement is entirely up to him and not for you or others to persuade him what to do with it.  Trying to sway public opinion with emotive rubbish like this is an abuse of position for any columnist. Further, it is only a settlement of this magnitude that will cause media owners to think twice before falsely accusing an individual of a crime.

Consider this. If McAlpine had been accused of being a thief, or a murderer and it turned out to be a false allegation. Would people be calling for him to donate any settlement to victims of theft or families of murder victimes? No? Why not?  I stand by by original twitter comment:

 


She will probably never read this because she declared me a troll and blocked me for having the audacity to disagree with her opinions.

My final comment is that those who dug themselves into the holes they are in regarding McAlpine should perhaps stop digging.

Comment: Upgrade cycle madness

Written By: pgregg - Aug• 28•2012

It is getting near that time of year when the world goes mad for the next revision of the iPhone.

That annual elation when the faithful can upgrade their awesome^H^H^H^H^H^H^H, sorry, now old and crappy iPhone 4S for the shiny new OMGOMGOMGOMG!!!  NEW iPhone 5. And your life is complete.

On the other hand, there are those (I approximate, half the Apple citizens) who are mid-way through their 24 or 18 month contracts and are torn between needing that shiny new phone and buying out their contracts to get it, or having to suck it up and wait.

A few years ago, I would have agreed that the devices were getting exponentially better and there was a clear benefit to having the latest mobile device but I believe that is no longer true. The power of the devices are reaching a point where they can do almost anything you would want them to. Quad core CPUs – in your *phone*. I think the next huge leap will be in battery life, but, I digress.

Much like PC upgrade cycles. Businesses used to religiously replace their computers every 3 years. There was always a clear benefit to this and we all loved getting new computers because they were so much faster than the one before.

But that stopped being true* about 3 years ago (*unless you are a gamer). Word processing isn’t any faster, email isn’t faster, the Web isn’t faster. Generally speaking – the computer you bought 5 years ago is still pretty damn good.

Companies are realising this also and 3 year replacement cycles became 4 year replacement cycles mostly due to budget cuts. Then 4 years became 5 years as they noticed “hey, this still works great”.  I believe the new standard PC replacement cycle will be 5 years.  I think this was already true in the average home. As an aside, this business change is what is hurting the likes of Dell and HP right now.

So, back to our shiny mobile phones. Can this continue? I don’t believe so. There will come a time – and I think for Apple it will be 2013 – when the iPhone owners realise that their phone is still bloody awesome and the iPhone 6 isn’t such a great incremental step as before, and that maybe, just maybe, they don’t need this to complete their lives.

By 2015, I believe, I hope, that we will be happy with our devices and we won’t need to keep paying the annual upgrade tax just to have the latest shiny. The shiny in our pocket will be awesome, and it will remain so for a couple of years. We should be happy with our devices for at least 2 years – maybe 3.

We had a dotcom bubble. It burst in 2001. We had a financial bubble. It burst in 2008. We are in the middle of a mobile bubble. I believe it will burst in 2015.

None of the mobile device makers want this to happen. I’m not sure the phone companies would like it either – they still want to extract their £35 or $50 per month out of you for the next 24 months.  But you, the consumer, the guy with the cash in his pocket, should care. You are paying £800 or $1200 every two years for that shiny slab of metal in your pocket. You probably wouldn’t spend that on your primary computer that could last 5 years.

Disclaimer, I use a 2.5 year old HTC Desire that is just begging to be upgraded – but I’m holding off as best I can to see what happens post iPhone 5 in the market. I aim to choose a phone that will last me 3 years.  And if there can be any encouragement, it is this. I’m only paying £10 ($16) per month for all my minutes, texts and unlimited data plan.

On Software and Game Copyright and Second Hand sales.

Written By: pgregg - Aug• 07•2012

stockvault-video-game-controller106338

This morning I got into a little twitter spat with a local game developer Matt Johnston. Basically he is arguing against companies like GameStop because they do not provide any revenue back to the original developers of the game. As he is a game developer, he is very obviously on the side of the games companies.

Matt made a blog article and very nicely quoted me in the article – one of the tweets during the to-and-fro conversation. Well as much as 140 characters allows.

Matt makes several points, one of which is that if we allow* a second hand market, then DRM will happen; and we don’t want DRM, so we shouldn’t have a second hand market.

(* note that it is not the right of the games companies to allow or ban it in the first place).

DRM is a red herring and not at the heart of the issue. DRM may be the games companies answer to the problem it perceives – but at the end of the day, DRM only hurts those people who actually pay for the game.

I could go onto many underground sites and find the latest games “for free”. Who wins there?

I don’t as I do believe the game should be paid for. I have a large collection of both Wii originals, and a large Steam archive.

Having said that, morally, I have a real objection to the games companies thinking they can ride roughshod over consumer rights and long established principles and doctrine of first sale.

The second hand market is both legal in the physical works *and* in the digital world. And thankfully we now have case law to back this up.

Last month, in the EU, Oracle lost a case (Oracle vs UsedSoft) trying to prevent resale of licenses to its software.

The court wrote:
“A rightholder who has marketed a copy in the territory of a Member State of the EU thus loses the right to rely on his monopoly of exploitation in order to oppose the resale of that copy.”

Further, Oracle, and Matt here, opposes further distribution based on licensing terms. The court also rejected this view, thus:
‘The principle of exhaustion of the distribution right applies not only where the copyright holder markets copies of his software on a material medium (CD-ROM or DVD) but also where he distributes them by means of downloads from his website. Where the copyright holder makes available to his customer a copy – tangible or intangible – and at the same time concludes, in return form payment of a fee, a licence agreement granting the customer the right to use that copy for an unlimited period, that rightholder sells the copy to the customer and thus exhausts his exclusive distribution right. Such a transaction involves a transfer of the right of ownership of the copy.
‘Therefore, even if the licence agreement prohibits a further transfer, the rightholder can no longer oppose the resale of that copy.’

http://www.gamerlaw.co.uk/2012/07/legality-of-second-hand-sales-in-eu.html
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2012/07/04/curia-digital-distribution/1

In summary, as a gaming company, you would love to make income on the second hand sales of your games, who wouldn’t.  However, morally it is wrong.

Would you like the government to charge VAT on second hand goods? No? – they already got their cut, as have you in your first sale.

Thankfully, the law agrees with me.

 

Image: http://www.stockvault.net/photo/106338/video-game-controller

Blog change to WordPress

Written By: pgregg - Jul• 07•2012

Well, I thought after calling out Menshn for security flaws, I ought to check if my Movable Type was up to date. It wasn’t and one of the changelogs suggested I should upgrade.

However, the upgrade went badly leaving me unable to login at the blog level, or anyone to comment. Admin area was fine.

My upgrade path to Movable Type 5 was blocked because they decided to remove Postgres support. So it put it into the same camp as WordPress. Conveniently there is a PG4WP “plugin” (hack) that lets (most of) WordPress work on Postgres, yay!

Cut to the chase, WP + PG4WP installed. Blog exported/imported. Comments migrated – however I lost a few comments because of a bug in the WP Import incorrectly creating SQL for some articles. Didn’t like the <span style=”color: rgb(0, 0, 187);”> one little bit.I recreated the 4 missing entries manually, but the comments from the originals refused to import.

A mod_rewrite rule to strip the .html from the old MT page urls, and things should be up and running.

 

 

 

Amusing, True Near Death Experience.

Written By: pgregg - Aug• 25•2011

Those who know me will know that there have been two important events occurring in my life this week. 1) Tiling my kitchen, and 2) Trying to buy a HP TouchPad.

As part of tiling the kitchen, significant other wanted to replace all the standard white wall sockets with Stainless Steel ones to match the rest of the kitchen colour scheme. I was safely over half way through this task, having disconnected the socket mains supply, when a van pulled up bearing HP TouchPad goodness. Thus the next 30 minutes of my life was accounted for.

Upon returning to the kitchen tasks I came to the Cooker 40A switch. I disconnected the ring main from the switch and proceeded to move the wires so that I kept the supply and load pairs apart when BUZZZZZZ and 240 Volts of high energy goodness shot through my hand and up my arm.

Yes folks, TouchPad caused me to forget to flip the cooker ring circuit in the fuse box.

Cue me jumping back, dropping tools and collapsing to the floor in a bout of Arrrrgh.

Wife said “Stop it, you’ll scare the kids.”.

Kids run in asking what happened and wife explains that Daddy electrocuted himself.

Six year old Lauren asked “Could you see his bones?”.

What 16TB raw space looks like at home

Written By: pgregg - Apr• 11•2011

I’ve been looking for some home backup solutions over the past couple of months. This has led me down both the do-it-yourself route and buying a ready-made solution.

One of my requirements was that I wanted the solution to be more than just storage – otherwise I would have purchased a straight NAS box from the likes of Qnap, Netgear or if feeling rich Drobo. Most of these dedicated NAS boxes can be “rooted” to allow ssh access , however their CPUs are generally underpowered for general purpose use.

Other requirements were that I wanted a reasonably small form factor and to be able to use at least 4 SATA hard drives, preferably with hot swap ability. Hardware raid was not a requirement because I intended on using a Linux distribution with mdadm software raid.

In the end, I ended up building two boxes.
The first, a home build, based on the CFI A7879 chassis CFI_A7879_1with a Gigabyte GA-D525TUD Dual Core Atom Mini-ITX Board.

GA-D525TUD

The second was a off-the-shelf HP ProLiant Microserver which, to be brutally honest, was because HP were offering £100 cashback deal on it. This made the server much cheaper than you could possibly build yourself from components.

HP_Microserver
I added 4GB ram to each box (total 5GB in the HP box because it comes with 1GB).The CFI boot drive is a 8GB (30MB/sec) CompactFlash card mounted as an
IDE drive. The HP boot drive is a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer USB stick.

Finally added 4 x 2TB Samsung F4EG HD204UI drives to each box.

The CFI box has 8TB in RAID5 providing 5.4TB usable. The HP has 8TB in RAID6 providing 3.6TB usable space.

If there is more interest, I’ll write up the build process is more detail with pictures.

For now – here are some shots of my utility shelf.

IMG_20110411_173250

IMG_20110411_173740